Minutes Before Shooting, Suspect Texted a FriendFebruary 20, 2018 12:44am

The Florida couple allowing Nikolas Cruz to live with them has revealed a chilling text he sent to their son just a few minutes before the shooting rampage at a Florida high school last week.

"He told my son he's going to the movies," James Snead tells ABC's Good Morning America. Cruz reportedly also suggested in the text messages that he had a secret to tell, but he declined to share it.

Minutes later, police say Cruz opened fire, killing 14 students and three members of school staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. James and Kimberley Snead said they allowed the "polite" Cruz, 19, to move in around Thanksgiving after his adoptive mother died from pneumonia.

(They now say they feel like they had a "monster" under their roof.)

Also Monday, CNN reports that Cruz once again made an appearance, albeit a brief one, in a Florida courtroom.

Wearing a red prison jumpsuit, Cruz attended a procedural hearing in silence and did not look at cameras as he was led in and out of the courtroom in shackles.

The teenager obtained 10 rifles over the last year, per CNN. Cruz stands charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder. His state-appointed attorney has said the teen will likely enter a guilty plea if the death penalty is taken off the table.

More From Newser

Judge's Orders: 'Hit Him'

This article originally appeared on Newser: Minutes Before Shooting, Suspect Texted a Friend

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - In a Wednesday, March 14, 2018 file photo, Nikolas Cruz is lead out of the courtroom after an arraignment hearing at the Broward County Courthouse in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Cruz is accused of the shooting rampage that killed 14 students and three school employees at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland on Feb. 14. In addition, 17 people were wounded. More than a year earlier, documents in the criminal case against Nikolas Cruz and obtained by The Associated Press show school officials and a sheriff's deputy recommended in September 2016 that Cruz be involuntarily committed for a mental evaluation. But the recommendation was never acted upon. (Amy Beth Bennett/South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP, Pool, File)
APNewsBreak: Some wanted Florida suspect committed in 2016
Deputy and counselors recommended institutionalizing Nikolas Cruz long before deadly massacre at Florida schoolDeputy and counselors recommended institutionalizing Nikolas Cruz long before deadly massacre at Florida school
Lottery Winner Pleads Guilty to Robbing Multiple BanksJames Hayes was working the graveyard shift as a security guard supervisor in 1998 when he hit California's SuperLotto jackpot, CBS Los Angeles reports. On Thursday—20 years after becoming a multimillionaire overnight—the 55-year-old Hayes pleaded guilty to bank robbery. Hayes was arrested in October while living in an...
Couple Gets $2.5M After Cops Called Kidnapping a Hoax

Related Searches

Related Searches