Inside the Disturbing Psychiatric File of the Parkland ShooterMarch 12, 2018 3:55pm

The Miami Herald has obtained Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz's school psychiatric file, and it contains disturbing details of his talks with mental health professionals. Nikolas Cruz, who has admitted to gunning down 17 at Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last month, attended an alternative school before being mainstreamed into Stoneman Douglas; the Washington Post notes he had disciplinary issues at middle school and left in eighth grade.

Many of the files deal with his weekly meetings with his therapist at Cross Creek School, whose students have emotional or behavioral problems, from the time he was 15 to 17 years old.

In 2014, for example, he told that therapist he'd had a dream about killing people and being covered in blood; administrators, in response, came up with a "safety plan" for him over the summer that involved removing "all sharp objects from the home."

Cruz, formally charged last week with 17 counts of premeditated murder and 17 counts of attempted murder, also told his therapist he went on YouTube to "research wars, military material, and terrorist topics," and he wrote a paper about his fantasy of a "perfect summer" that would involve him buying a gun and target-shooting until he got bored or ran out of ammo.

The therapist and school psychiatrist describe troubling behavior from Cruz in the files, including aggressive and destructive behavior at home, threatening behavior at school, an obsession with guns and the military, and paranoia.

The school therapist advised against Cruz being given the pellet gun he desired, and it was recommended he not be allowed to become an ROTC cadet.

Toward the end of the file, "tremendous progress" is noted, and he was allowed to move to Stoneman Douglas by January 2016. See the Herald for more.

More From Newser

This article originally appeared on Newser: Inside the Disturbing Psychiatric File of the Parkland Shooter

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this June 8, 2018, file photo, school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz sits in the Broward County courthouse in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Defense attorneys for Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz are asking a judge to order investigators to preserve most evidence in the case, except for the building where the Valentine’s Day massacre took place. A hearing was set Thursday, June 21, 2018 on motions seeking to preserve evidence including field notes made by law enforcement officials that may have some bearing on the case. (Taimy Alvarez/South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP, Pool, File)
Hearing postponed in Florida school shooting case
Cops Have Suspect in 1970s Serial Killer CaseThe San Francisco Police Department might be close to finally catching the Doodler, a 1970s serial killer more savage than his nickname might suggest. The killer is believed to have killed at least five gay men and possibly up to 14 in 1974 and 1975, SF Weekly reports. Police say...
Cop Who Killed 17-Year-Old Sworn Into Duty That Night
32 Years Later, 'Sweet Older' Man Arrested in Girl's MurderOn March 26, 1986, 12-year-old Michella Welch was abducted from a park in Tacoma, Wash., sexually assaulted, and killed with a cut to the neck. More than three decades later, police have arrested a suspect in her murder, the News Tribune reports. Gary Charles Hartman, 66, was booked into jail...
This Dec. 5, 2012 photo at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu shows a gravestone identifying it as the resting place of 7 unknown people from the USS Oklahoma who died in Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor. A survivor of the attack on Pearl Harbor is saying his final goodbyes to the site where thousands of fellow servicemen died in the Japanese bombing 77 years ago. Ray Emory, 97, is making what could be his last visit to the pier where his ship sat on Dec. 7, 1941, before he moves to the U.S. mainland to be near family. (AP Photo/Audrey McAvoy)
Sailors honor Pearl Harbor survivor during 1 last visit
CORRECTS LAST NAME OF DAVID TURPIN'S ATTORNEY TO LOWE, INSTEAD OF WEBB - Louise Turpin, left, with her attorney Jeff Moore, and her husband, David Turpin, center, with his attorney Allison Lowe, right, appear for a preliminary hearing in Superior Court, Wednesday, June 20, 2018, in Riverside, Calif. The couple have pleaded not guilty to child abuse, torture and other charges. (Watchara Phomicinda/The Press-Enterprise via AP)
Sister led California police to shackled, starving siblings
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices