Judge blasts lawyers in upholding $15M police shooting awardJanuary 12, 2018 6:43pm

SEATTLE (AP) — A federal judge has upheld a $15 million verdict against police in a small Washington state city who shot and killed an unarmed black man, in a ruling that blistered the city's lawyers for suggesting jurors ruled against law enforcement only because they didn't want to be known for siding with white officers.

The ruling Thursday from U.S. District Judge Barbara Rothstein found that the jury had plenty of reasons to conclude that the shooting of Leonard Thomas during a 2013 SWAT operation in the Tacoma suburb of Lakewood was outrageous, The Seattle Times reported . Thomas was unarmed, hadn't threatened anyone and was standing on his porch with his 4-year-old son, whom he had agreed to release, when a sniper killed him.

The defendants asked the judge to reduce or set aside the verdict and order a new trial. Lakewood's lawyers argued that the jurors sided with Thomas' family because they didn't want to have to tell their friends they sided with white police who shot and killed a black man.

Rothstein said that suggestion was insulting and entirely fabricated. She noted that the defense helped pick the jurors, and "should it even matter ... none of the jurors were African American."

"The suggestion that this jury flouted its charge and colluded to hold government officials liable merely to advance the jurors' individual reputations is not simply frivolous; it is insulting to our constitutional order," she wrote.

She added: "And the notion that the American justice system can be characterized by an illegitimate solicitude for black victims of alleged police misconduct is so painfully ahistorical that one wonders whether Defendants advance this argument seriously."

The incident began as a squabble between Thomas and his mother, Annalesa Thomas, on May 23, 2013, over where his son would spend the night. Thomas had called her because he had been drinking and was upset despondent over the death of a friend, but then got in an argument with her and slapped a cellphone out of her hand once she arrived.

Annalesa Thomas called police, who responded with a SWAT team, leading to a four-hour standoff during which Thomas repeatedly told police to leave him alone, that he was not armed and that his son was safe.

A hostage negotiator eventually persuaded him to let the child go home with his mother. As Thomas stood on the front porch with the boy, a car seat and a backpack full of clothes, police breached the back door with explosives. Startled, Thomas reached for his son, and the sniper shot him.

In addition to $8.6 million in compensatory damages, the jury imposed $6.5 million in punitive damages: $3?million against Police Chief Mike Zaro, who was in command that night and who gave the orders that led to the shooting; $2 million against Sgt. Brian Markert, the sniper; and $1.5?million against Officer Mike Wiley, who led the assault team that blew down the back door of Thomas' house and killed the family dog, Baxter.

"Zaro and Wiley orchestrated an operation, executed in critical part by Markert, whereby an unarmed man who was negotiating the temporary release of his four-year-old son to the boy's grandmother was subject to an explosive breach of his back door, shot in his abdomen, and then repeatedly punched in the face while he died, despite having never threatened violence to anyone that night," Rothstein wrote.

Thomas' mother, Annalesa Thomas, said she's grateful for the judge's ruling.

"Leonard's justice prevailed," she wrote in an email.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this June 20, 2017, file photo, former Milwaukee police officer Dominique Heaggan-Brown appears in Milwaukee County Court in Milwaukee. Heaggan-Brown, who was acquitted of fatally shooting a black man, sparking two nights of riots, pleaded guilty, Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018, to lesser charges in sexual assault cases that had gotten him fired. (Michael Sears/Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel via AP, Pool, File)
Ex-Milwaukee cop pleads guilty to soliciting prostitution
Black Texas man sues cop who mistook him for thief, shot himA black man shot by a police officer who mistook him for a thief as he tried to unlock his own truck has filed a civil rights lawsuit against the Dallas suburb where the shooting happened and the since-fired officer
Court tosses lawsuit seeking legal California prostitutionA federal appeals court has rejected a lawsuit that aimed to legalize prostitution in California
The Latest: Deported woman's attorneys 'thrilled' with orderAttorneys for a Mexican mother of four U.S.-born children who was deported last year while claiming she was threatened by a drug cartel say they are "thrilled" with a court's order that U.S. immigration authorities reconsider the case
Court: Transit agency cleared in platform preachers' arrestsA federal appeals court has ruled in favor of New Jersey Transit in a dispute over the arrest of two men who were preaching on a train platform in 2012
FILE - This undated file photo provided by Franklin County Sheriffís Office shows Abdirahman Sheik Mohamud. Mohamud, of Columbus, accused in April 2015 of receiving training on weapons, combat and tactics in Syria, and then returning to the U.S. with a plan to attack a military base or a prison. A federal judge on Friday, Jan. 19, 2018, is scheduled to sentence the Ohio man who plotted to kill military members in the U.S. following a delay in the case when a previous judge withdrew. Mohamud, who was born in Somalia but came to the U.S. as a child, was arrested in 2015 and pleaded guilty to plotting those attacks after becoming radicalized in Syria. The attacks were never carried out. (AP Photo/Franklin County Sheriffís Office via AP, File)
Judge set to sentence Ohio man who plotted US attacks
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices