FBI: More than 100 school threats in Louisiana in past monthMarch 12, 2018 11:29pm

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Authorities have investigated at least 106 threats of violence in or near schools in Louisiana since the Feb. 14 mass shooting at a Florida high school, state police and the FBI said Monday. The news came as the University of New Orleans was reopening its campus following the arrest of a suspect in one such threat.

Nicholas Heard, 20, was arrested without incident at his home, said New Orleans police spokesman Beau Tidwell.

Police on Monday said Heard told fellow students he would shoot several people on campus.

The university told employees not to report to work Monday and students in on-campus housing were told to remain in their rooms. Once the arrest was made, authorities made preparations to re-open the campus late Monday afternoon and re-start campus dining services.

Heard was being held at the New Orleans jail and bond had not been set as of Monday night. Online jail records did not indicate whether he has an attorney.

A joint news release from the FBI and Louisiana State Police said that in the other cases, the ages of those arrested ranged from 11 to 28. Most were juveniles.

"As shown by the number of arrests already effected by Louisiana law enforcement agencies, school threats are being taken seriously, and a zero tolerance policy is in place," the statement said.

After the threat was lifted at UNO, its president, John Nicklow, said campus and city police, U.S. Marshals, and police from other nearby campuses had assisted the school. "I am also grateful to our students for their patience, cooperation and even words of encouragement that some offered during this ordeal," Nicklow wrote.

Also Monday, authorities said a 14-year-old was arrested in connection with an unrelated threat at a New Orleans public school. Officials said the unidentified teen was arrested Saturday, adding it came a day after threats of a shooting at Dolores T. Aaron School came to light. The unidentified teen is accused of terrorizing and disruption of the operation of a school. Police said officers were in constant communication with officials at that pre-K through 8th grade charter school to ensure student safety.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Harvard to host Florida shooting survivors for panel on gunsSix students who survived last month's mass shooting at a Florida high school will be visiting Harvard University to talk about guns
FILE - In a Wednesday, March 14, 2018 file photo, Nikolas Cruz is lead out of the courtroom after an arraignment hearing at the Broward County Courthouse in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Cruz is accused of the shooting rampage that killed 14 students and three school employees at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland on Feb. 14. In addition, 17 people were wounded. More than a year earlier, documents in the criminal case against Nikolas Cruz and obtained by The Associated Press show school officials and a sheriff's deputy recommended in September 2016 that Cruz be involuntarily committed for a mental evaluation. But the recommendation was never acted upon. (Amy Beth Bennett/South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP, Pool, File)
APNewsBreak: Some wanted Florida suspect committed in 2016
Superintendent apologizes for airing school shooting audioA Pennsylvania school district that played audio clips of the Florida high school mass shooting during a tribute to victims is apologizing
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students Alex Wind and Ryan Deitsch, right, discuss the upcoming marches in Washington and elsewhere calling for gun regulations during an interview, Monday, March 19, 2018, in New York. Hundreds of March for Our Lives demonstrations are planned around the world Saturday, sparked by the Feb. 14 shooting in Parkland, Fla. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)
Students: 1 million expected at anti-gun-violence marches
Shane Fedderman, left, a 1998 graduate of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., watches as families of mass shooting victims urge California's public pension funds to stop investing in retailers of assault weapons in Sacramento, Calif., on March 19, 2018. Fedderman, who lives in Hollywood, is one of several alumni of the high school, where 17 people were killed in February, calling on the fund to divest from gun retailers. (AP Photo/Kathleen Ronayne)
Victims' families urge California to end gun investments
File - In this Oct. 4, 2010, file photo, Seaside City Council member Dennis Alexander speaks during an election forum in Seaside, Calif. Alexander, teacher and Mayor Pro-tem in Northern California accidentally fired his gun in a classroom, injuring three students, police said. Alexander, who is also a reserve police officer, was pointing the gun at the ceiling to make sure it was not loaded when the weapon discharged Tuesday, March 13, 2018, inside his classroom at Seaside High School, KSBW-TV reported. The Seaside Police Department said no one suffered "serious injuries."(David Royal/ Monterey County Herald via AP, File)
Teacher apologizes for accidentally firing gun in classroom

Related Searches

Related Searches