French singer pulls out of festivals amid protestsMarch 13, 2018 12:58pm

PARIS (AP) — French rock musician Bertrand Cantat, who was convicted of killing his actress girlfriend 15 years ago, has pulled out of all the festivals he was scheduled to appear in this summer amid a growing wave of protests.

The 54-year-old Cantat, the leader of former rock band Noir Desir, released a solo album last year and recently started touring. After several dates were canceled by organizers following complaints from women's groups and individuals, Cantat said he took the decision "to put an end to all polemics."

Cantat was sentenced to eight years in prison and served four after beating to death Marie Trintignant in 2003 during a dispute in a hotel room in Lithuania, where she was making a film.

In a statement posted on his Facebook page, Cantat reiterated his "utmost sincere, profound and total compassion to the family and close friends of Marie," but also insisted that he has "paid his debt."

"I wish today, as any given citizen, the right to reintegration," Cantat wrote. "The right to exercise my profession, the right for my close family to live in France without being pressured or slandered. The right for the public to go to my concerts and listen to my music."

He wrote that he understood "being on festival lineups this summer can pose a problem, hence my decision to withdraw." He did not cancel other dates on his tour. A scheduled show in the southern city of Istres later this month was canceled by organizers at the venue.

Cantat returned to the spotlight in October last year after French music magazine Les Inrockuptibles put him on its front cover, drawing criticism from France's gender equality minister Marlene Schiappa amid greater awareness and attention to the issue of violence against women in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

Trintignant's mother, the movie director Nadine Trintignant, labelled Cantat's decision to go on stage as "shameful, obscene" and "disgusting."

"I'm wondering what the people going (to his shows) are thinking," Trintignant said on French state TV. "What do they make of the blood, the blows and tears?"

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this July 7, 2015, file photo, Marion Hugh "Suge" Knight sits for a hearing in his murder case in Superior Court in Los Angeles. Knight has lost another defense lawyer _ his 15th _ and the three-year wait for his murder trial to start will grow even longer. Judge Ronald S. Coen released attorney Dominique Banos on Friday, citing conflict of interest. (Patrick T. Fallon/Pool Photo via AP, File)
15th defense lawyer in Suge Knight's murder case leaves
FILE- In this June 17, 2017, file photo, Bill Cosby exits the Montgomery County Courthouse after a mistrial was declared in Norristown, Pa. Cosby's lawyers are asking Judge Steven O'Neill in his upcoming sexual assault retrial to step aside, arguing he could be seen as biased because his wife is a social worker who's described herself as an "advocate for assault victims." Cosby's lawyers said Thursday, March 22, 2018, that some of O'Neill's rulings, including his decision to let five additional accusers testify, could give the appearance he's influenced by his wife's work. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)
Cosby wants judge ousted over wife's sex-assault advocacy
The Latest: Prosecutor: Cosby's 'last card' targets judgeProsecutors are blasting Bill Cosby's lawyers for seeking a new judge in his April 2 sexual assault retrial
Britain's Prince Harry and Meghan Markle look at some prosthetic limbs made by the Titanic FX company during a visit to Catalyst Inc science park in Belfast Northern Ireland where they met some of Northern Ireland's brightest young entrepreneurs. Friday March 23, 2018.  The couple will marry in Windsor Castle on Saturday May. 19. (Niall Carson/Pool via AP)
Prince Harry, Meghan tour N. Ireland; wedding china on sale
T-shirts, flowers showing support banned at Cosby retrialPeople attending Bill Cosby's upcoming sexual assault retrial won't be allowed in with T-shirts, flowers and other items that show support for one side or the other
FILE - In this April 12, 2017, file photo, Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Steven Wright delivers to the Baltimore Orioles in the first inning of a baseball game at Fenway Park in Boston. Wright has accepted a 15-game suspension under Major League Baseball's domestic violence policy following his arrest on Dec. 8. Wright publicly apologized to his wife, Shannon, after baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred announced the penalty Friday, March 23, 2018. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)
Boston's Wright suspended under domestic violence policy

Related Searches

Related Searches