Judge approves revised Weinstein Co. bankruptcy sale planJuly 11, 2018 6:35pm

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — A Delaware judge on Wednesday approved a revised plan for the sale of the Weinstein Co., the studio forced into bankruptcy by the sexual misconduct scandal that brought down Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein.

The revised plan calls for Dallas-based private equity firm Lantern Capital to pay $289 million for the Weinstein Co.'s assets, down from an initial sale price of $310 million.

Attorneys negotiated the $21 million price reduction after disputes threatened to torpedo the deal. Among those concerns was who would be responsible for paying potentially tens of millions of dollars owed on certain contracts that may be assigned to Lantern.

As part of the settlement, Lantern agreed to pay at least $8.75 million to satisfy certain contractual claims and pay for the Weinstein Co.'s operating expenses since June 29 in exchange for a lower purchase price.

The sale is expected to close Friday, but claims asserted by several Hollywood stars who say they are owed royalties and profit participation payments from various film and television projects will be resolved later.

The sale agreement allows Lantern up to 120 days after closing to decide whether to assume or reject existing Weinstein Co. contracts. A hearing on that issue is scheduled for next Wednesday.

"There will be a number of hearings over the course of the summer to address those issues," said Lantern attorney Meredith Lahaie, who noted that Lantern was reviewing about 24,000 contracts.

Weinstein Co. attorneys said an important factor in deciding to amend the sale agreement was the need to ensure closing before the company's bankruptcy financing and Lantern's debt financing commitment expired.

The Weinstein Co.'s primary assets include a library of 277 feature films that have generated more than $2 billion in aggregate box office receipts worldwide, a television production business, and an unreleased film portfolio that includes four distribution-ready films and other projects in various stages of development.

"It has been a long and rocky road since we filed these cases. ... This has been a difficult company to sell, but we are confident that we have the best deal in hand," Weinstein Co. attorney Paul Zumbro told Judge Christopher Sontchi.

An attorney for the company's official committee of unsecured creditors, a group that includes women who have accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual abuse and harassment, said the settlement was the result of intense negotiations. Those negotiations included the committee successfully arguing that the sale price should be lowered by $21 million, not the initially agreed-upon $23 million. Certain Weinstein Co. financial advisers also agreed to reduce their fees by $1 million.

"The committee is still not happy but has to be practical," said attorney Robert Feinstein. "The sale has to close."

Judge Sontchi noted that while some people might get caught up in Hollywood star power involved in the Weinstein bankruptcy, the case was a very serious one about "terrible things that were done to people."

"I'm very aware of the importance of that," said Sontchi, who presided over the case of the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, which sought bankruptcy protection in 2009 after failed settlement negotiations with alleged victims of clergy sexual abuse.

The Weinstein Co. sought bankruptcy protection in March amid a sexual misconduct scandal that brought down co-founder Harvey Weinstein and triggered a nationwide movement to address predatory sexual behavior and harassment in the workplace.

Last month, a Delaware bankruptcy judge ruled that six women who have accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct can proceed with their class action lawsuit alleging that the Weinstein Co. concealed widespread sexual harassment and assaults.

Harvey Weinstein, who has been indicted on criminal charges involving three women, has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this March 4, 2018 file photo, Shonda Rhimes arrives at the Vanity Fair Oscar Partyin Beverly Hills, Calif. Rhimes’s first slate of shows for Netflix include a look at the migration of African-Americans from the Jim Crow South, romance among wealthy 19th century Londoners and a documentary on Debbie Allen’s reimagining of “The Nutcracker.” The streaming service on Friday announced eight shows Rhimes and her collaborators at Shondaland are developing. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)
Netflix unveils first 8 Shonda Rhimes projects for platform
FILE - In this Dec. 13, 2017, file photo, Offset, of Migos, arrives at the U.S. premiere of "Bright" at the Regency Village Theatre in Los Angeles. Offset is facing two felony gun charges after he and his bodyguard were pulled over outside of Atlanta. Clayton County Police Sgt. Ashanti Marbury tells WSB-TV that an officer pulled over a Porsche 911 Friday afternoon, July 20, 2018, for failing to maintain its lane. Police said the vehicle smelled of marijuana, prompting authorities to search the car and find three guns and marijuana. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
Migos' Offset arrested on felony gun charges in Georgia
FILE - This undated file photo shows a photo of Dr. Richard Strauss. More than 100 former students have provided firsthand accounts of sexual misconduct by Strauss, the now-dead Ohio State University team physician, at the center of an ongoing investigation, the university said on Friday, July 20, 2018. (Ohio State University via AP, File)
Ohio State: 100 ex-students report sex misconduct by doctor
Baylor calls claims by former AD in court docs 'baseless'Baylor says its former athletic director made "factually baseless assertions" in a court deposition when he claimed regents tried to steer blame for the school's sexual assault scandal to the football team
FILE - This April 24, 2015, file photo, Provo Police Chief John King holds a photo of Elizabeth Elena Laguna Salgado during a news conference in Sandy, Utah. The city of Provo has reached a $750,000 settlement with five women who say the city failed to take action to protect them from alleged sexual harassment and assault by the former police chief. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File)
City settles sex misconduct suit involving ex-police chief
19th complaint filed against deputy involving sex misconductThe number of civil complaints against a San Diego County sheriff's deputy is now 19, after another woman came forward with sexual-misconduct allegations
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices