Judge confirms Prince's 6 siblings as heirs to his estateMay 19, 2017 9:54pm

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A judge confirmed Prince's six siblings to be his rightful heirs in a ruling released Friday, bringing them a big step closer to collecting their shares of the music legend's multimillion-dollar estate.

Carver County District Judge Kevin Eide formally declared that Prince died without a will and that his heirs are his sister, Tyka Nelson, and five half-siblings — Sharon Nelson, Norrine Nelson, John R. Nelson, Omarr Baker and Alfred Jackson.

The siblings will still have to wait to inherit their shares of Prince's estate, which court filings suggest has an estimated value of about $200 million, though taxes are expected to consume about half of that.

More than 45 people came forward in the wake of Prince's death, claiming to be his wife, children, siblings or other relatives. Some, including a Colorado prison inmate who said he was Prince's son, were ruled out through DNA testing. Others, such as a woman and girl who claimed to be Prince's niece and grandniece, had their claims rejected as a matter of law.

Some of those people filed appeals, and Eide said that if appellate courts send any of the rejected claimants back to him, he will consider them. And until the appeals are resolved, Eide said the siblings won't be able to collect anything without his approval.

And under state law, others who feel they have credible claims of heirship have a year from the judge's order to come forward with their claims.

Eide previously signaled that the six siblings would likely be named Prince's heirs, but he also had said he wouldn't make the declaration until appeals had been decided. Lawyers for the siblings didn't want to wait, though, saying further delays would increase costs to the estate and impede its efficient administration. The siblings' attorneys didn't immediately reply to phone calls seeking comment Friday.

Attorneys for rejected claimants had urged Eide to wait for appeals to be resolved before naming the heirs. Andrew Stoltmann, a lawyer for the woman and girl who say they are Prince's niece and grand-niece, said Friday that he hadn't seen the new ruling but would examine it and determine whether to appeal it.

Prince died April 21, 2016, of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid drug 50 times more powerful than heroin.

Since his death, Prince's Paisley Park studio complex and home has been turned into a museum and concert venue. His estate has also struck deals to make his albums available by streaming, and next month plans to release a remastered "Purple Rain" album as well as two albums of unreleased music and two concert films. The values of those deals and revenue generated from Paisley Park tours have not been disclosed.

__

Follow Amy Forliti on Twitter: https://twitter.com/amyforliti

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Jury convicts Florida co-pilot of operating plane drunkA Michigan jury has convicted a Florida co-pilot of being drunk while preparing for a charter airline flight last summer
Judge blocks further discipline over racist Instagram postsA federal judge has ordered a California school district not to take any additional disciplinary action against four students over their online responses to racist posts on an Instagram account
Supreme Court travel ban case could test Trump's reachThe Supreme Court may soon decide how courts are supposed to view presidential power in the age of Trump
Judge tosses suit against NFL over cheerleader wagesA federal judge says a lawsuit accusing the NFL and team owners of conspiring to suppress wages for cheerleaders fails to provide evidence to support that claim
A federal judge has tossed out 2 life sentences for D.C. sniper Lee Boyd Malvo and ordered new sentencing hearingsA federal judge has tossed out 2 life sentences for D.C. sniper Lee Boyd Malvo and ordered new sentencing hearings
FILE - In this Oct. 26, 2004, file photo, Lee Boyd Malvo enters a courtroom in the Spotsylvania, Va., Circuit Court. A federal judge has tossed out two life sentences for D.C. sniper shooter Lee Boyd Malvo and ordered Virginia courts to hold new sentencing hearings. In a ruling issued Friday, U.S. District Judge Raymond Jackson in Norfolk said Malvo is entitled to new sentencing hearings after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that mandatory life sentences for juveniles are unconstitutional. (Mike Morones/The Free Lance-Star via AP)
Federal judge tosses out life sentences for DC sniper Malvo
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices